Water Service Shut-Off Policy & Procedure
Adopted by OVMWC’s Board of Directors on July 10, 2023
- OVMWC billing rates and procedure are explained at olympicvalleymutualwater.com/pay-your-bill.
- Payments of water bills are due in full thirty (30) days after OVMWC sends the bills to members (“Billing Date”).
- If OVMWC does not receive payment in full sixty (60) days after the Billing Date, OVMWC will send a notice to member explaining OVMWC’s intent to shut off water service ninety days (90) days after the Billing Date if the bill remains unpaid. The notice will include details of the delinquency; the date by which payment must be received by OVMWC to prevent shut-off; and information about appeals, extensions, and the option to enter into an alternative payment plan (“APP”). OVMWC will also hand-deliver or post the notice prominently at the property where OVMWC provides service to member (“Service Address”) addressed to “Occupant.” Tenants may opt to pay the delinquent balance if member does not cure the delinquency.
- If OVMWC does not receive payment in full nor enters into an APP no later than ninety (90) days after the Billing Date, except as set forth below OVMWC will immediately shut off water service and send a notice informing member of the shut-off. The notice will include details of the delinquency; and information about appeals, extensions, and the option to enter into an APP. OVMWC will also hand-deliver or post the notice prominently at the Service Address addressed to “Occupant.” Tenants may opt to pay the delinquent balance if member landlord does not cure the delinquency.
- OVMWC will not shut off service when all of these three conditions occur:
- a primary care medical provider certifies in writing that discontinuing water service will pose a serious or potentially fatal threat to a resident at the Service Address,
- member is unable to pay as demonstrated by the receipt of certain public assistance by someone in the household, or a declaration from the member that the household is below 200 percent of the federal poverty level, and
- member enters into an APP.
- If member enters into an APP, OVMWC may disconnect service five (5) days after notifying member and posting a notice of intent to disconnect service at a prominent location at the Service Address if either of the following occurs:
- member failed to comply with the payments stipulated in the APP for over 30 days, or
- while obligated under the APP, member does not pay for over 30 days new service charges not covered by the APP.
- OVMWC will reconnect water service within two business days of receiving payment of all outstanding amounts, including unpaid water-service charges, late-payment fees, penalties, interest, administrative charge, and service-reconnection fee.
- For a period of one year following service reconnection, member will be on an accelerated shut-off procedure such that OVMWC will shut off water service thirty (30) days after a payment is due for a bill. That is, the above procedure of multiple notices and waiting periods will not apply.
- This shut-off policy does not apply to OVMWC’s water service shut-off caused by member’s violations of any other OVMWC rule, regulation or bylaw.
- OVMWC will post annually on its website the number of times water service was disconnected due to nonpayment.